When Ben & Jerry’s discontinued Cherry Garcia in 2011, fans of the flavor were devastated. Luckily, you can now enjoy that delicious flavor by making your own homemade Cherry Garcia bars. he recipe makes enough for about 8-10 servings, and promises that it will satisfy any Cherry Garcia cravings you have.
Cherry Garcia Bars are a combination of shortbread crusts, cherries and chocolates. The fresh cherries are flavored by the brown butter. The recipe is relatively easy to whip up.
Cherry Garcia Bars
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Ingredients for the Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ cup of sugar
Ingredients for the Filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of flour
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of chopped chocolate pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of halved and pitted cherries
- 1 teaspoon of bourbon
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven, use parchment paper to line a 9” x 13” baking pan and let the paper come up the sides.
- In a medium size bowl, mix ½ cup of the melted butter together with the white sugar and caviar extracted from vanilla beans. Add salt and flower and mix thoroughly. Place the dough into the baking pan and press the dough into shape using your fingers.
- Bake the shortbread crust for 20 minutes or till it changes to golden and becomes puff. Remove the shortbread crust from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Toss the pitted cherries with a spoonful of all-purpose flour and dice the remaining butter in a pot with a heavy bottom.
- Heat for 5 minutes over medium heat and stir continuously. When the butter forms a foam, turns clear and the golden brown in colour, remove from the heat and pour into a glass cup. (The butter is always extremely hot so ensure you pour it into a cup with a handle so that you don’t burn yourself.)
- Mix the salt, sugar and eggs in a regular bowl using a hand mixer. Add half the flour, bourbon then the remaining flour and caviar.
- Pour the golden brown butter into the mixture once it becomes smooth with the mixer is still running.
- Place the chocolates and cherries on top of the cooled shortbread crust and add the filling mixture on top. Return the baking pan to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until it turns to golden brown.
- Cool for ten minutes and use the parchment paper to remove the bars from the baking pan so that they can cool fully.
- Use a bread knife or serrated knife to cut them into bars. If you do not want to consume immediately, you can store them in a fridge. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 120mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g