Clafoutis is a French dessert made of batter (similar to pancakes) and fruits. It is made of fresh peaches or can be substituted with pears, plums or apricots.
This snack contains close to 10% of your everyday requirements of vitamins and minerals. If you have peaches, ground ginger, vanilla extract and other ingredients at hand, you can easily prepare it.
If you are a vegetarian, then this dish is the best option for you.
- 3 ripe peaches
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- ½ cup of flour
- 1 cup of granular sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Ground sugar for garnish
- Heat up your oven to 350℉.
- Pour water into a large pot and boil it over high heat. Pour ice water into another bowl and set aside. Using a sharp knife, score the peaches at the bottom with a large “X” and then put them in the boiling water for about 30 seconds.
- Remove them and drop them in the ice water immediately and allow them to sit for about 30 seconds and then place on a chopping board to cool for some minutes.
- Using your fingers, peel back the peach skin, starting from the bottom, by pulling on the corners of the “X”. After peeling, dispose of the skins and then slice the peaches into thin pieces.
- Blend the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and coriander in a large blender. Add ½ cup sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla extract, milk and flour and blend until the mixture smoothens.
- Use butter to grease a 9-10” cast iron skillet and pour in a ½ inch layer of batter. Bake the batter until its film sets in the pan.
- Remove the baked batter from the oven and lay the sliced peaches over it in a circular manner. Sprinkle the remaining granular sugar on the peaches and then pour on the remaining raw batter.
- Bake for another one hour and remove it from the oven once it becomes puffed and brown. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and let it cool. Serve warm and enjoy!
Peach clafoutis can also be served cold with an ice cream topping. You can alo serve it for breakfast with hot tea or coffee.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1673Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 587mgSodium: 939mgCarbohydrates: 326gFiber: 11gSugar: 250gProtein: 43g